Today, I would like to recommand you a book written by Jens Schöne. "The Peaceful Revolution" was published in 2009 by the Berlin Story Verlag. This publishing house published some interesting books about the GDR in english, like the illustrated book "When there was still an east" by Udo Hesse, "The Berlin Wall 1961 - 1989" by the Landesarchiv Berlin or "The Peaceful Revolution" by Jens Schöne.
To give you a first impresssion, here is the blurb:
Only once in their history did the Germans succeed in staging a successful and peaceful revolution: in the years 1989-1990. This is the story of that revolution, with an explanation of the background and an evaluation of the consequences. In the autum of 1989, the people wrenched the right peaceably to assemble from the authorities and changed the world. Author Jens Schöne explains the whole complex process: how each little gain had to be fought for and how desperately the regime clung to power.
I am sorry, that I just copied the blurb, but I can not describe it better myself! Inside, you will find a lot of pictures and the chapters aren`t that long (the book "only" has 139 pages)....but they are long enough to let you know the most important facts.
You like to know more about the chapters? Here they are:
- Prologue - The GDR national holiday
- Rise and fall - Forty years of the GDR
- Do you have a choice? The municipal elections of May 7, 1989
- Summer Thunderstorm. A wave of refugees, the founding of citizens initiatives, and immobility
- We are the people! The autumn of decision
- We are one people! On the path to German unity
- The Completion of German Reunification. Summer 1990
Sounds interesting, doesn`it?! If you like to read it, you can buy it online on our website...