This recipe is a specialty of Saxony. Above all in the southern part of the GDR there were a lot of forests and because of that there were lots of game meat.
800g goulash of deer
100g juice ham
125ml red wine
50g sour cream
For the pickle (marinade):
100g diced onions
1 bay leaf, celery leaves, thyme, juniper berries, cloves, salt, pepper (grains), sugar
Pickle of vinegar (You could buy this as finished product, too.)
- Put the goulash and the diced onions as well as the spices the day before in a pot and pour over with the pickle of vinegar.
- Clean, wash and crush the soup greens.
- Cut the bacon into cubes and sear it.
- Now take the goulash out of the pot and let it drain.
- Afterwards sear it with the bacon and wipe off with the red wine. Then add the broth and the pickle of vinegar.
- Take the meat out of the stock.
- Sauté the soup greens in butter and add the goulash.
- Cut the juice ham in slices and sear it in a pan of hot fat.
- Wip off the deer stock with the broth and boil it down.
- Season the stock with the sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Before serving the goulash pass the ham slices over it.
We recommend serving with boiled potatoes or dumplings and red cabbage. For the preparation time you should count in approximately 60 minutes. Attention: Don’t forget the time for the marinade!
More original GDR dishes you can taste every day in the DDR Restaurant Domklause.
(Translation: Valerie Holbein)